Tuesday, June 14, 2011

WORTH PONDERING ON...





Many years ago, Matthew Henry, a well-known Bible scholar, was once robbed of his wallet. Knowing that it was his duty to give thanks in everything, he meditated on this incident and recorded in his diary the following:

Let me be thankful, first, because he never robbed me before; second, because although he took my purse, he did not take my life; third, because although he took all I possessed, it was not much; and fourth, because it was I who was robbed, not I who robbed.
Matthew Henry (1662-1714)

English Non-conformist Bible commentator









The Gospel is open to all; the most respectable sinner has no more claim on it than the worst.

D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones (1899-1981)

Welsh preacher and writer








Anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strength.

Charles H. Spurgeon (1834-1892)

English Baptist preacher









The vigour of our spiritual life will be in exact proportion to the place held by the Bible in our life and thoughts.

George Müller (1805-1898)

Prussian-born English evangelist and founder of a Bristol orphanage









I never made a sacrifice. We ought not to talk of 'sacrifice' when we remember the great sacrifice which He made who left His Father's throne on high to give Himself up for us.

David Livingstone (1813-1873)

Scottish missionary, doctor and explorer to Africa









When I came to see that Jesus Christ had died for me, it didn't seem hard to give up all for Him. It seemed just common, ordinary honesty.

C. T. Studd (1860-1931)

English missionary to China, India, Africa









My memory is nearly gone;

but I remember two things;

That I am a great sinner, and

that Christ is a great Saviour.


John Newton (1725-1807)

English minister and hymn writer









Peace is such a precious jewel that I would give anything for it but truth.

Matthew Henry (1662-1714)

English Non-conformist Bible commentator



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...