Thursday, June 9, 2011

THE YOUNG PAINTER



Once upon a time there was a painter who had just completed his painting course. He painted a beautiful scenery which took him three days. Proud of his work, he wanted people’s opinion, so he put up his creation at a busy street-crossing. And on a board below the painting he wrote: ”I have painted this piece. Since I’m new to this profession I might have committed some mistakes. Please put a cross wherever you see a mistake.”


When he came back in the evening to collect his painting he was completely shattered to see that the whole canvass was filled with crosses and some people had even written their comments on the painting.


Disheartened and broken, he ran to his master and burst into tears.


This young artist was breathing heavily and muttered incoherently, “ I’m useless and if this is what I have learnt, I’m not good enough to become a painter. People have rejected me completely. I feel like dying”


The master smiled and suggested, “My Son, I will prove that you are a great artist and have learnt flawless painting. Do as I say without questioning it. It will work.”


The young artist reluctantly agreed and two days later early in the morning he presented a replica of his earlier painting to his master. The master took it gracefully and smiled.


“Come with me, and I’ll show you,” he said.


They reached the same street-square early morning and displayed the same painting exactly at the same place. Now the master took out another board which read, ”Gentlemen, I have painted this piece. Since I’m new to this profession I might have committed some mistakes in my strokes. I have put a box with colors and brushes just below. Please do a favor. If you see a mistake, kindly pick up the brush and correct it.”


Master and disciple walked back home.


In the evening they returned to the street-square. The young painter was surprised to see that actually there was not a single correction done so far. Next day again they visited and found that the painting remained untouched. The painting was kept there for a month but no correction was made.


You see, in life it is so easy to criticize. All of us have the power and ability to improve on so many of the things that we normally frown upon and criticize. How much better it would be if we stop talking and start doing.


So don’t get carried away or judge yourself by someone else’s criticism and opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...