Friday, November 21, 2008

Country Boy

The song lyrics I am publishing have lain in a drawer unread for 35 years and reading them now they do seem dated. When you read something that you wrote that long ago you become a third party to yourself. Anyway, here goes
Walking in the city down a busy streetMy stomach wondering when I'm going to eatI haven't had a shave, I've got dirty clothesThe plackard man says I should "Eat at Joes"I've got nothing to lose if I give it a tryTomorrow he'll be telling me "The End is Nigh"
ChorusCountry Boy-it's lonely in the cityCountry Boy-I don't need your pityIt seems like a lifetime since I came to seekMy fortune in the city....God, it was only last week!
I came across some guys from a downtown sectWho said "go away", well, words to that effectIt wasn't me who threw the empty bottle of wineI tried to tell the cop from Precinct 49You'll be taken from this place the judgeman saidAnd hung by the neck until you're dead
Chorus
The folks back home will be talking nowAbout the boy who wandered from the ploughTo my father in the bar, saying "Now there Tam"While my mother cries into her homemade jamThe footsteps in the yard are such hollow soundsTo this country boy who wandered way out of bounds
Jon Bratton copyright 1973
You have the tunes, I supply you with the words. Only when the completed song is published and earns royalties, or any other monetary return, will appropriate royalties, per the industry standard, become payable to me, the copyright owner Jon Bratton

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...