Thursday, December 4, 2008

Poetry on Tap

Poetry on tap is coming but first have a look and listen to Over the Rainbow by Patti Labelle and the BluebellesNow contrast it with this version of Over the Rainbow by Patti Labelle without the Bluebelles. Bring back the Bluebelles I say.
If you want more, here's more links but I wouldn't bother unless you want to see Patti's different hairstyles
During my expat days I dressed up in womens clothing more often than I thought I would but people kept asking me to do it. One such ask was to host the finale of a childrens tap dancing school show...in which Over the Rainbow featured...a tenuous link, I know, between this subject which is well searched and little accomodated and my script as a dance show compere.
The kids had been told someone very special was going to appear and the rumour quickly spread that it was Roy CastleSo as not to disappoint I dressed up in womens clothes, with balloons up me frock and two pins in me hands and walked out after the finale to speak to the audience which exclusively comprised the kids parents and siblings
Resplendent in a dress I delivered this address
Get off, get off, you horrible lotNow it's my chanceDo you know Moms, Mums and Dads they wouldn't let me singAnd they wouldn't let me dance
I'm very good at dancing you knowAnd I'm ever so keenBut they wouldn't let meCos they're soooo mean
It's cos they're jealous, I'm more matureI've got things in me vestI'm a sophisticated lady( balloons popped)
O'er what's happened to me chest?
Anyway, even if I wasn't in the showI don't careCos I thought the show was horribleSo there
F'instance, two girls that were really hopelessI'm very glad to sayWere Linda and KarlaIn Anchors AwayCome on down girls and take your bowOf course I was boredMoms, Mums and Dads, if you thought they were really boringDon't applaud
The next bit was even worserWith all them silly Gene KellysIf you were singing in the rainYou should have worn your welliesGetting wet were Mary, Jemima, JuliaAbigail, Susie and DanielleLaura, Liza and Catherine S
Oh and Sarah B as wellCome on down girls and take your bowYour dancing was like the weatherMoms, Mums and Dads, if you thought they were a load of dripsDon't put your hands together
Bye Bye Blues was nextThat put me in a rotten moodTwo girls who couldn't dance for toffyWere Sarah and Christine Oud
Come on down girls and take your bowYour dancing should be bannedMoms, Mums and Dads, if you thought they were rottenDon't give them a hand
Shiela N did it again in DesdemonaI could have done it betterer than youMoms, Mums and Dads if you didn't like her jazzGive her a nice loud Boo
Clara B and Pam C's dancingMade me shed a tearThey ought to be somewhere Over the RaindowAnywhere but hereCome on down Clara and Pam and take your bowYour dancing give the chance for a napMoms, Mums and Dads if you thought Clara and Pam were hopelessDon't give them a clap
42nd Street was rottenAnd I hated St Louis BluesAnd Julia S and Laura B had no rythmThey should have worn tap shoes
It Don't Mean a Thing featured Catherine
What an awful sight to seeIt was a good title thoughCos it didn'y mean a thing to meCome on down Catherine, take your bowYour dancing never got off the groundMoms, Mums and Dads, if you thought Catherine was yukkyDon't make a clapping sound
All the boys wouldn't let me dance as wellNow it's my turn to get even
With Jack, Joseph, Sam and NiellDarren and Harry and StephenCome on down boys and take your bowDo you know, you've all got knobbly kneesMoms, Mums and Dads, if you thought New York, New York was horribleNo clapping if you please
Well, I've got to admit the Moms, Mums and Dads like youBut just you wait and seeMoms, Mums and Dads show them allWhat you think of me
Oh I think I've got it all wrongI think I'm beginning to seeIf I am nice to all of youWill you be nice to me?
Oh look there's still four little ones leftThese four did ever so wellMoms, Mums and Dads, please give a hand toJemima, Christine, Judie and Christabel
I hope you all forgive meFor being rude, I'm sorry
Now it's time for all of us to say
Hip, Hip, Hooray for Dorry
Come on Dorry
On behalf of all the children
And all the parents tooYou gave us such a lovely showWe've got some things for you
Where's the flower arrangementAnd bring the pressie inThese are for you from all of usEveryone chipped inDorry you did a marvelous jobIt was a really super showMoms, Mums, Dads, Boys and GirlsLet's hear it for the Maestro
Now I don't want to harp on but Patti Labelle deserves another chance. Click on the link and listen to her all the way through and I think like me you'll become a fan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...